BRIG (Dr) B.K. KHANNA, SM, VSM
Brig (Dr) BK Khanna is internationally renowned disaster management and climate change adaptation expert who is working as CEO UNDRR ARISE INDIA (UN affiliation for disaster risk reduction in private sector). He has been advising citizens during numerous webinars, on preventive and precautionary measures to be taken while opening the economy during COVID-19. Some advisories were also issued. He is Lead Senior Consultant (DM) in FICCI. He is Director and Working Chairman of Integrated Institute of Rural Development, Shimla. He is also the Chairperson of Faculty & Disaster Management Skilling Council and President of India Skill Development Council – all honorary positions. He was also engaged as Consultant (DM) by Earnst & Young for its project,” International Theme Destination around Ranjit Singh Dam, along Pathankot-Dalhousie Road, Punjab”. He is a highly decorated soldier who has all along been apolitical and has now decided to get involved in it to do his bit for the welfare of common man and middle class.
PROFILE OF BRIG (Dr) B.K. KHANNA, SM, VSM
- He is veteran of Indo Pak War 1971, also known as Bangladesh Liberation War and fought as young Captain in Shamshernagar-Maulvibazaar-Sylyet and Dhaka University areas. He was felicitated by the Bangladesh Govt with title of ‘Freedom Fighter of Bangladesh’, in December 2019 during their 48th Independence Day Celebrations at Dhaka. He commanded his Battalion in Srilanka during OP PAWAN and commanded an Army Formation in Western Sector and a Sub Area in Jammu and Kashmir. He has served in all counter insurgencies in India from 1966 to 1997. He also served in BSF as Sector Commander Jaisalmer Sector and Chief Instructor , BSF Academy, Tekanpur for six long years.
After superannuating from Indian Army/BSF, he served in National Institute of Disaster Management (NIDM), as Consultant-cum-Senior faculty on disaster management and climate change for two years and in National Disaster Management Authority(NDMA), Government of India as Founder Senior Advisor (Policy, Plans , Training & Capacity Development) from 28th Sep 2005 (day NDMA was set up by an executive order) till 31 March 2014, when he superannuated. In his capacity as Senior Advisor, he was involved in formulation of India’s National Disaster Management Policy, National Disaster Response Plan, National Guidelines on making State Disaster and Crisis Management Plans, Chemical (Industrial) Disasters, Earthquakes, Floods and Cyclones. He was a National Core Group Member for evolving Guidelines on Chemical (Terrorism), Fire Services, Civil Defence, Community Based Disaster Management (CBDM) and Incident Response System (IRS). He was also a Core Group Member for evolving Action Plan for Chemical (Industrial) Disasters by Ministry of Environment and Forests. He was involved in planning and implementation of DM Plans for Kumbh Mela in Haridwar and Maha Kumbh Mela in Jan-Mar 2013 at Allahabad. He has participated in various capacities in managing Orissa Super Cyclone 1999, Bhuj Eaarthuake 2001, Indian Ocean Tsunami 2004, J&K Earthquake 2005, Floods in Assam, Bihar and Orissa in 2006-2012, Sikkim Earthquake 2011, Uttarakhand Flash Floods 2013, J&K Floods 2014 and various man made disasters, like Radiation Accident at Mayapuri Scrap Market in New Delhi, epidemics like Nipah virus in May-Aug 2018, Zika.Virus in May 2017, Chickengunia, dengue and Aviation flu in 2006.
- His core competency is inter relationship between DRR and climate change and how national and state policy and strategies should have synergy in mitigating their effect. His expertise also lies in planning, formulating and reviewing disaster management plans at the national, state, district, hospitals, religious places, schools/ colleges/ Universities/ educational institutions, industrial units and international/national events (sporting/others). He is on the Panel of the Central Board of secondary Education, for conducting mock exercises and judging the regional and national level science exhibitions. He is expert in Crowd Management at Religious Places and has made Contingency and DM Plans for Tirumala & Tirupati, Amarnath Yatra and Maha-Kumbh in Allahabad and helped Vaishno Devi (SMVDSB) in formulating one. At the instance of the Government of Arunachal Pradesh, he carried out DM Audit of Arunachal Pradesh State and two of its most vulnerable districts namely Itanagar-Naharlagun twin city and Papumpare in March 2015. He also carried out triple audit (DM, Security and Fire Safety) of over 235 schools and important institutional buildings like NDMA and Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industries ( FICCI).
- Other competencies include spreading general awareness and developing the response capabilities of the community & first responders through conduct of table top and mock exercises on various types of natural and human induced disasters at National, State and District levels. So far over 2130 national/state/district level simulation exercises have been conducted by him in all 36 Indian States/UTs (in 437 districts, 38 hospitals, 235 Most Accident Hazard Industries, 5 major religious places & 549 private and government schools/colleges and 3 Universities). In fact he is pioneer in starting conduct of mock exercises in India.
- Brig (Dr) B.K. Khanna did his Masters in Science in Psychology, Doctorate (Ph.D.) in ‘Internal Threat to India-Policy and Options’ and Doctorate of Literature (D.Litt.) on, ’Disaster Management in Indian Context’. He has done MBA in International Trade, PG Diploma in Marketing and is a Certified Master Trainer of Trainees and Master Trainer for conduct of Simulation Exercises from Federal Emergency Management Agency, USA.
- Besides writing 275 articles on Climate Change, Crises Management, Disaster Risk Reduction/ Management, Security and Defence related subjects in various international/national professional journals, he has written two books on DM, namely , ‘All you Wanted to Know about Disasters’, which was released by the then Chief Minister of Delhi, on 06 Aug 05 and has been prescribed as text book for MBA (DM) Course in Indraprastha University, Delhi and, ‘Disasters: Strengthening Community Mitigation and Preparedness’, which was released in August 2010 by Gen NC Vij, then Vice Chairman of NDMA, which is vastly read by professionals and amateurs in India and neighboring countries. He has also written a book ,”Napier’s Rifles in OP PAWAN – Commanding Officers Perspective” which has been released and is in circulation in Armed Forces Circles. His two chapters on climate change have been published in the Premier Reference Source,” Environmental Sustainability and Climate Change Adaptation Strategies”, published by IGI Global, USA in December 2016.
- The President of India recognized his Services to the Nation for bravery during war and exceptional duties during peace time, by decorating him eight times including with Sena Medal (for Bravery) & Vishisht Seva Medal and Bar(for showing exceptional courage and devotion to duty), Chief of the Army Staff Commendation, Army Commander Commendation(2 times) and DG BSF Commendation(2 times). The national Govt, State Govts & UN have also commended him numerous times for his contribution in the field of Disaster Management. He is a known international expert on Disaster Management in India. Search on Google will throw more light on his work in capacity development & conduct of mock exercises. Brig Khanna has a rare combination of rich experience in the field, including war, counter insurgency and disaster management and in academics.
- Brig Khanna has earned a name for himself in the ARMY , BSF, NIDM, NDMA,FICCI, UN ARISE in the field of Security, Disaster Management, Climate Change , as a warrior, teacher, mentor and advisor, now will devote his energies for serving the nation in another “AVATAAR” through politics, with sole aim to upkeep the core values on which our Constitution is based and also give back to the society what he has learnt in his long years of service to the Nation, particularly for the common man and the middle man, to have a say in governance, not only by voting once after five years but constant involvement and as active participant.